I’m a sucker for purchasing items on sale. One of the items I like to stock up on when it goes on sale is packages of imitation crab meat. Yes, I do realize that it isn’t real crab…but crab flavoured pollack or hake. Imitation Crab meat is one of the few “packaged” or processed items that I purchase but I find that it’s so convenient to have around the house when the end of the month rolls around and you stand in front of the fridge thinking to yourself…”now what’s for dinner?”. This dish is mostly made up of pantry and fridge/freezer staples and is relatively quick to prepare, so it makes a perfect dish to bring for potlucks and picnics.
My DH happens to love this dish. Normally, it sits in the fridge overnight to let the flavours develop, but I have learnt that a bowl needs to be eaten right away or the entire salad will magically disappear before I get the chance to see it in the morning (DH blames the cats). It’s just THAT good.
1 lb Farfalle Pasta*
2 packages of Flaked Imitation Crab Meat
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/3 red onion, finely diced
2 ribs celery, finely diced
1 tsp. Whole Grain Dijon Mustard
3/4 cup Mayo
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
Chili flakes to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta according to directions.
2. Meanwhile, combine mayo, lemon juice, chili flakes and Dijon mustard in large bowl.
3. Add onion, celery, red bell pepper and mix.
4. Break up imitation crab chunks slightly and add to bowl.
5. Strain pasta, add to bowl and mix gently to distribute everything.
6. Chill until ready to serve.
* I used Tortiglioni because I didn’t have any farfalle (bow-tie) pasta at home. Cavatappi works in a pinch too 🙂